Kitchen Myths

Facts and fiction about food and cooking, by Peter Aitken

Don’t wash raw mushrooms because they will absorb water

Mushrooms naturally contain a lot of water, up to 90% by weight according to some sources. This makes them difficult to sauté properly because they will give off that water and end up stewing, at least until the water cooks off. But, they won’t absorb more water if you wash them. Of course, some water may adhere to the gills, but that can be shaken or dabbed off.

One response to “Don’t wash raw mushrooms because they will absorb water

  1. Tatiana Romanova June 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm

    Do you think water somewhat washes off mushroom smell? I’ve noticed that some sponge mushrooms: morels, chantrelles after washing and drying loose their incredible smell.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: